Sunday, March 2, 2014

BROKEN OPEN


So, there I was…

32 years old with a brand new child, a loving husband, and a job that I enjoyed. I didn’t love the job, but I enjoyed the challenge and the people I worked with everyday. I was happy and comfortable in my life and I felt very accomplished for 32 years old. 

Then I got hit with a brick. My marriage ended VERY suddenly and I was on my own with my little bundle of joy. I had no choice but to go back to work. It felt like my soul was being ripped from me when I left him each day. How could I justify leaving my child every day for a job that I didn’t love? Sure, it put food on the table and paid the bills, but was it worth leaving him?

There is a great debate between people who say that you should love what you do and others who say the money is more important than the passion. Last year Forbes wrote an article Five Reasons to Ignore the Advice to Do What You Love. Having been on both sides, I firmly believe that one side has experienced the true VALUE of being passionately in love with what they do and the other side hasn’t. Plain and simple. Until you personally experience what it is like to love what you do, you really can’t understand its true value. It’s like riding a high each day. And it is SO MUCH FUN!

Tonight I’ve been reading Steve Job’s Commencement Address to Stanford University in 2005. While the whole text is worth reading, the following advice really hit home, Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love.”

I was happy and comfortable in my life. If my marriage hadn’t ended and I hadn’t been broken to pieces, I wouldn’t have had to put myself back together again. I wouldn’t have had to wonder if there was more for me in this life…if I was MEANT TO DO MORE in this life. I’ve lived what Steve Jobs was describing, but I didn’t have a job I loved to support me through it all. I WILL NEVER SETTLE FOR LESS NOW. It isn’t only me I’m living for now; I have my son to think of and he won’t see me settle.

Sometimes it is difficult to find what you love doing. I have some ideas, but I’m not ready to fully commit to them in print yet. I can tell you that I know without a doubt that I’m going to find what I love and I’m going to make good money doing it.

Have you found what you love? I’d love for you to share your journey below :)

Kaly Marie

Pasion. Adventure. Business.
Kaly Marie McKenna Business Ventures

No comments:

Post a Comment